Large Solar Retrofit
The YMCA Raukawa Adventure Centre has been in existence for more than 50 years and focuses on providing opportunities for children, youth, communities and schools with lower deciles. The camp offers activities such as outdoor pursuits, adventure tourism, environmental education and team building as well as catering and accommodation. The camp is situated on 30 acres which encompasses bush, river flats and hillsides of rural NZ.
The YMCA has installed a 12m² Edwards Titan type solar water heating system with the existing wood boiler providing back up.
The expected outcomes for the YMCA include:
• Utilizing sustainable energy
• More eco-friendly operation
• Developing visitors’ awareness of sustainable energy
• Minimising manual labour associated with the wood burner
• More staff time available for other initiatives.